Tips, advice, guides and resources to help keep your child safe online.
As a parent or carer you play a key role in helping your child to stay safe online.
You don’t need to be an expert on the internet to help keep your child stay safe online. But you do need to know what your child is accessing online and how you can support your child to use the internet safely, responsibility and positively.
It is really important to chat with your children on an ongoing basis about staying safe online.
Not sure where to begin? These conversation starter suggestions can help.
- Ask your children to tell you about the sites they like to visit and what they enjoy doing online.
- Ask them about how they stay safe online. What tips do they have for you, and where did they learn them? What is OK and not OK to share?
- Ask them if they know where to go for help, where to find the safety advice, privacy settings and how to report or block on the services they use.
- Encourage them to help someone! Perhaps they can show you how to do something better online or they might have a friend who would benefit from their help and support.
- Think about how you each use the internet. What more could you do to use the internet together? Are there activities that you could enjoy as a family?
There is a lot of information and support available for parents/carers regarding suporting your child to stay safe online. We will add relevant links below to sites that we feel can provide you with up to date information.
The Thinkuknow website has up to date for advice about staying safe when you're on a phone, tablet or computer.